Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spring Break weekend

I suppose I should have prefaced the Glasgow post with this one, since some of it leads up to something mentioned in said Glasgow post.

My Spring Break is winding down, and last weekend I went with a friend from school up to [the city I did my undergrad in]. I had forgotten that it is always much cooler there than at our university, since it's on a lake and all...

We left late last week and made it up there by nightfall, with time to settle in and get ready for Shabbos the next night. Since it's an all day trip, 6 hours gave H. and I time to chat. She drove and I paid her money for gas. 2 girls in a car for 6 hours and we eventually got around to talking about guys. I had an idea to make a list of what we're looking for in a guy/future husband (though a bit premature for me, at least I know what I want). Here's mine:
-liberal Orthodox guy, in "the modern world"
-will be okay with my specific academic field of study (if we happen to meet someday, I'll tell you what it is and you can tell me what you think)
-cool with my wearing a sheitel and keeping TH (Taharat Hamishpacha for those in the know)
-cool with languages (esp. less commonly taught ones): either studies them himself or okay with what I'm doing
-doesn't have a temper (verbal/physical abuse fall under this one)
-communication skills: be able to have a conversation and talk it over if we're having a disagreement, or just being able to talk to each other in general. I'd like a guy who can be my best friend, in addition to being my husband
(-willing to move around or live in a cold climate)
(-travelling)

H. mentioned that if he's not interested in the academic part, he's not worth it, and I completely agree with her. The above are the main things I don't want to compromise on. For example, if he's completely against learning a foreign language, or one of those types who insists upon speaking English outside of the English-speaking world, and not bothering to have an appreciation for other languages/cultures, he might not be the guy for me.

The other stuff:
-height and eye color doesn't matter so much. Someone at least 5'8" would be nice though.
-prefer clean shaven
-someone who takes care of his face
-keeps in shape (not too fat or too skinny)
-like to hike, ocean kayaking
-appreciation for the arts
-museums
-okay with pets

I don't think these matter as much, but it would be nice if most of them were met. But I have to remember that I'm looking for a complete package, NOT just checking off things on a list...
What do you think?

No comments: