Monday, March 23, 2009

Converting in the UK = Not Possible

So, I spoke with a Glasgow rabbi this afternoon. For 45 minutes. He basically told me that the London Beit Din is not going to accept me as a conversion candidate because I'll only be in the UK for a year and half to study. He was very nice to talk to (I think the accent helped), but was up front about what the London Beit Din expects of their candidates. The rabbi said that the Beit Din is so strict they want you to study 3 years before converting, and that the US will be easier. 3 years is a long time. If I did go that route, my Hebrew would be pretty good after that time! He also said that it might be worth it to have the Beit Din/Rabbis in Milwaukee get connected to the ones in London. If I studied with this rabbi for 18 mos, then returned to the US, the conversion would take 6 mos. to a year. However, I don't know if this will work.

However, the main problem is that I am and will be, a student. And students move around a lot. I don't know where I'll be in 2-4 years. Job wise I don't think I'll be back to the US, which leaves the UK, EU, and EEA, hopefully. I don't think that's fair but I don't make the rules.

A.) I wonder what if it would be possible to do if the London Beit Din knew I would (tentatively) be in the UK for at least a consecutive 4 years? (After graduation, I'm eligible to apply for a work visa that lets me stay and work in the UK up to 2 years, which I think is great!).

After 2 calls to my rabbi, he said to forget about the conversion being a factor. Decide on a school, what will be best for me, go do the degree, and THEN figure out this Jewish stuff. I guess for me, Scotland is the best way for that.


I hope option A.) works out. I'll find out tomorrow.

Oh yeah. 1 more thing. After emailing the rabbi, and suggesting Option A.), as well as a previous note in which I said where I stand on observance and stuff (including hekshers, tznius stuff, the sheitel thing and Taharat Hamishpacha, though I don't know much Hebrew or Hashkafa at the moment), he tells me that now is the time to look into Judaism on a serious level with regard to beliefs and practice. Helloooooo?! Did he read what I wrote? How many people read about TH on their own, AND before taking kallah classes?!?!?!?! Seriously... I'm sure he's serious, but I was shocked to read that! Would you be?

3 comments:

Ahuva said...

"he tells me that now is the time to look into Judaism on a serious level with regard to beliefs and practice"

I suspect this is code for "start studying for conversion without formally entering into the conversion process under a rav."

Besides, there are MO people who keep TH and Heredi who keep it... and everyone in between. His comment was to be expected; don't be shocked. :)

People can and do switch rabbis during the conversion process. Remember, it is a part of this guy's job to discourage you.

I would agree that you should decide on a school independent of the conversion, but there's no reason why you can't get started in the mean time. See if there's a rabbi there you can study under even if they they won't let you "officially" start the conversion process. It'll count in your favor when you do decide to officially start the process. Definitely enlist your rabbi's help.

Anonymous said...

Try and get in touch with Rabbi YY Rubinstein. He's the student chaplain for the North West and is a convert himself. His contact details should be on his website: rabbiyy.com

Anonymous said...

I know someone who lived a frum life for about 4 years, and then was told "You'll be ready in a few years!"
Your rabbi may have met this, or may have met what my rabbi meant when he said "start studying seriously for conversion." I had been learning a few hours a day, shomer mitzvos for about a year, and I was thinking what have I been doing this whole time then?
But I had an appointment with a beis din within a month.

Don't give up hope. :) :)
If the Beis Din seems too strict, don't be scared away. You don't want them to have any lenience in the future of course.
My friend suggested a more lenient beis din in NYC for me, but then I realized what that might mean...